UPDATED – April 2017
We went to Europe for our Honeymoon. I’ve read a lot of blogs and websites which help us with our Schengen Visa Application in Dubai. We originally plan to apply our visa with VFS in Wafi City. However, since Italy will be our main destination* we will need to go to Abu Dhabi. The Italy Visa Application Center of VFS is in Abu Dhabi. Since we do not want to go to Abu Dhabi, I looked for an alternative application center and luckily I was able to find Cox & Kings Global Services.
Schengen Visa Application in Dubai
First of all, a Schengen Visa is a document issued by the appropriate authorities to the interested party for visiting/traveling to and within the Schengen Area.
Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of their citizens within this area as a single country. Of the 26 countries bound by the Schengen agreement, 22 are part of the EU and the other 4 are part of the EFTA.
Majority of European countries covers the Schengen area, except for the United Kingdom and countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland soon to be part of the agreement. However, there are countries that are not part of the EU like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein yet do belong in the Schengen area and cherish the free movement policy.
Schengen Member States
When applying for a Schengen Visa, you need to make sure that you are applying to the correct embassy/consulate of the country which is either one of the below:
- your main destination (the Schengen country where you will spend the longest time)
- first point of entry if you are spending the same amount of days in several Schengen countries
Make sure you have your itinerary ready in order for you to identify which consulate/embassy you’ll be applying for your visa. We applied our visa in the Italian Consulate since Italy is our main destination. We booked a coach tour with Expat Explore as recommended by our close friend JM. It includes the whole itinerary of our Europe Trip like accommodation, transportation, etc. So all we need to have is the Schengen Visa and the plane ticket.
Once your itinerary is ready, you will then need to book an appointment. Cox & Kings accept walk-ins but it is not recommended as there will be a delay as it will be based on availability of time with the submission officers. It is best to book an appointment at least 45 days prior to your scheduled departure. You can then start preparing the required supporting documents needed for the visa application. You will find the information below which can help you with your Schengen Visa application in Dubai through Cox & Kings Global Services.
List of documents required for Schengen Visa Applications for Tourism purposes:
- Application form duly completed and signed.
- 1 passport size colour photograph, white background please check the specifications at www.it.ckgs.ae
- Original and 1 photocopy of passport valid for 90 days from the return date. Issued less than 10 years ago, at least 2 free pages (face to face)
- Photocopy of UAE Residence Visa valid at least 90 days from the date of intended end of the requested visa.
- Previous Schengen, USA, UK visa photocopy.
- No Objection Certificate from local sponsor or employer It should mention:
- Name and designation of the applicant
- Name and designation of the managerial signatory
- Applicant’s monthly salary
- Start of employment date
- No objection on travel to Italy
- Company License
- Employment Labour Contract
- Proof of adequate financial means (Bank statements of the last 3 months)
- Confirmed hotel booking or letter of invitation of the italian host (lettera invito dall’Italia)or details of private Accommodation
- Medical travel insurance: minimum coverage euro 30,000 inclusive of repatriation flight
- Copy of Flight Booking
- A minor traveling accompanied or unaccompanied should have a consent letter signed by both 11 Parents and copy of the parent’s passports. A minor traveling with only one of the parents should have a consent letter signed by the other parent and a copy of that parent’s passport.
Note : you can find the checklist and more details about the requirements on this link : https://www.it.ckgs.ae/resources/pdf/tourist-visa-checklist.pdf
When all your documents are ready, you can just go to Cox & Kings Global Services on your appointment date. Their complete address is :
Next to Sofitel Hotel downtown, Adjacent to Burj Khalifa/Dubai Mall Metro Station
Office 1102, 48 Burjgate, Downtown Burj Area, Sheikh Zayed Road
Visa fees & processing fees
241 AED Tourism Visa
100 AED CKGS processing fee
5 AED SMS Service
We received an update about our application just two days after we submitted the documents. An SMS & email will be sent to you once the result is ready and you can also track the status on this link.
I was invited for interview by the Consulate of Italy in Dubai when we receive a notification from Cox & Kings. I was the only one that was invited for Interview as our application was considered ‘Family’. The Consulate of Italy in Dubai is in World Trade Center, 17th Floor. Back then, I was initially given an appointment after 2 weeks. I just requested for an earlier interview date and luckily my request was granted.
That’s the thinking game took part. I’ve been thinking of questions that will be asked during the interview or what is the main reason why I was invited for interview even with complete requirements. Hence, there is no better advise that I can give than making sure all your documents are real and you are ready to answer all questions regarding it.
During the interview random questions was asked in the Italian Consulate which are all about the submitted requirements. But the lady was very particular on the transactions showing on our bank statements. Surprisingly, the interview only took around 5 minutes. After the interview, we got the result after 2 working days. We went to Cox & Kings Global Services and was given the envelope. Furthermore, the result will not be known unless you open the envelope that contain your passport.
Finally, our Schengen Visa has been APPROVED! Europe here we come! 😀
Please refer to the link below for more information regarding Visa Application through Italian Embassy.
*information provided above are based on the details gathered at the time of our visa application.